Skip to content
San Diego Post

San Diego Post

Your Pulse on Local Stories and National News

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Primary Menu
  • Local News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Politics

2,000 National Guard troops ordered to leave California as federal presence wanes

Jacob Shelton July 16, 2025

Share this:

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
(Image Credit: IMAGN)

Marines and National Guard troops communicate as they deal with protesters on the front steps of the Edward Roybal Federal Building in Los Angeles, Calif., June 14, 2025.

Los Angeles, California – In a significant de-escalation of its controversial military response to protests in California, the Trump administration announced Tuesday it will withdraw approximately 2,000 National Guard troops from the Los Angeles area. The move comes more than a month after the federal government sent thousands of troops to the city over the objections of local and state leaders.

The announcement from Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell framed the withdrawal as a response to stabilizing conditions. “Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding,” Parnell said, noting that the Secretary of Defense had ordered the release of members of the California National Guard’s 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team.

But local officials say the situation on the ground had already calmed weeks earlier — and that the federal military presence never should have happened in the first place.

The deployment began on June 7, when President Trump federalized thousands of California National Guard members to suppress protests that erupted in the wake of aggressive immigration raids across the state. California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who typically commands the state’s Guard, publicly objected to the mobilization, calling it a violation of state sovereignty. Mayor Karen Bass lifted a downtown curfew just ten days later, on June 17, signaling a return to normalcy — but the Guard stayed.

At its peak, the deployment included more than 4,000 National Guard troops and hundreds of active-duty Marines. Troops patrolled downtown streets, stood guard outside federal buildings, and rode in armored vehicles alongside ICE and Border Patrol agents. Many had only recently finished responding to Southern California’s winter wildfires.

Critics, including state officials and immigrant rights advocates, described the deployment as theater — a display of federal authority masquerading as public safety. “This has never been about order,” Newsom said Tuesday. “It has been about optics.”

The state filed a lawsuit in federal court to challenge the legality of the deployment, arguing it violated the Posse Comitatus Act, which limits the use of the military in domestic law enforcement. That legal battle continues.

Meanwhile, the Guard’s presence has become a daily reminder of federal overreach in immigrant communities. In MacArthur Park, a working-class neighborhood in central Los Angeles, about 80 Guard members recently marched across a soccer field with federal agents — a display that Mayor Bass likened to an “armed occupation.”

Tuesday’s partial withdrawal will remove nearly half of the deployed California Guard troops. Yet nearly 1,900 members of the 49th Military Police Brigade remain, with no clear timeline for demobilization. “The remaining Guard members continue without a mission, without direction, and without any hopes of returning to help their communities,” Newsom said.

For many in Los Angeles, the question isn’t whether the National Guard should leave — it’s why they were sent here at all.

Related

Continue Reading

Previous: USC to move forward with layoffs as $200 Million deficit forces financial reckoning
Next: California immigration raid leaves families reeling, 5 detained near Mission Bay

Related Stories

(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Politics

Trump says DOJ will sue California over Newsom’s redistricting map

Jacob Shelton August 26, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Politics

California loses $12M in sex ed funding after Trump ban on gender identity lessons

Jacob Shelton August 22, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Politics

Redistricting War: California’s plan to add 5 seats for 2026

Jacob Shelton August 21, 2025
Syndication: USA TODAY
  • Politics

California Republicans sue to block Democrats’ 5-seat redistricting plan

Jacob Shelton August 20, 2025
(Image Credit: Getty Images)
  • Politics

Gavin Newsom demands answers after 100-agent show of force in California

Jacob Shelton August 18, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Politics

Poll shows 64% of California voters reject Newsom’s redistricting plan

Jacob Shelton August 17, 2025

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Trending News

California task force to clear 18,000+ homeless encampments, expand shelter access (Image Credit: IMAGN) 1

California task force to clear 18,000+ homeless encampments, expand shelter access

August 31, 2025
Padres explode for 12 runs, crush Twins behind Díaz’s two-homer night MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins 2

Padres explode for 12 runs, crush Twins behind Díaz’s two-homer night

August 31, 2025
California official charged with felony assault on 52-year-old resident Councilmember Luke Shaffer 3

California official charged with felony assault on 52-year-old resident

August 31, 2025
Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins 4

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins

August 30, 2025
From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme Elderly_Woman,_B&W_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield 5

From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme

August 30, 2025
$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court Syndication: Palm Beach Daily News 6

$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court

August 30, 2025
California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter (Image Credit: IMAGN) 7

California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter

August 30, 2025

You may have missed

(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • National News

California task force to clear 18,000+ homeless encampments, expand shelter access

Jacob Shelton August 31, 2025
MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins
  • Sports

Padres explode for 12 runs, crush Twins behind Díaz’s two-homer night

Jacob Shelton August 31, 2025
Councilmember Luke Shaffer
  • Local News

California official charged with felony assault on 52-year-old resident

Jacob Shelton August 31, 2025
MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins
  • Sports

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025

Recent Posts

  • California task force to clear 18,000+ homeless encampments, expand shelter access
  • Padres explode for 12 runs, crush Twins behind Díaz’s two-homer night
  • California official charged with felony assault on 52-year-old resident
  • Local News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Copyright © 2025 All rights reserved.