
Tyshane Taylor, 26, of Detroit, left, shops with her son Ma’Khai Taylor, 3, at the Detroit People’s Food Co-op, a community owned grocery store and event space photographed on Friday, May 2, 2025 as it celebrates it’s one year anniversary.
California – A sweeping federal overhaul of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), signed into law last week as part of President Donald Trump’s “One Big Beautiful Bill Act,” is expected to slash $186 billion from the nation’s food assistance program over the next decade. For California, where the program operates as CalFresh and serves millions, the consequences could be stark — particularly for Latino communities.
The Congressional Budget Office’s projections paint a sobering picture: nationwide reductions that will ripple through state budgets, force tighter eligibility restrictions, and impose new penalties for administrative errors. In California, those changes could undercut a vital safety net that supported 5 million residents between 2023 and 2024 — many of them in regions already grappling with severe food insecurity.
A new analysis from the UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Institute (LPPI) highlights the stakes. Latinos make up a majority of CalFresh recipients and are disproportionately vulnerable to food insecurity. LPPI found that nearly half of low-income Latino adults in California lack consistent access to nutritious food, compared to 38 percent of white Californians and 37 percent of Asian or Pacific Islander residents. Latino children and working-age adults are also more likely to rely on CalFresh to meet basic nutritional needs.
“These changes represent real harm to communities across California,” said LPPI Faculty Director Arturo Vargas Bustamante. “Reducing food assistance means forcing families to make impossible choices between meals, rent, and health care.”
The legislation introduces stricter work requirements and allows states to shoulder more financial risk if they report benefit disbursement errors. For a high-cost state like California, which already spends billions to support its low-income residents, that added burden could strain already fragile budgets — and may lead to further program cuts.
In areas like the Central Valley and Imperial County — agricultural regions that supply much of the nation’s produce — participation in CalFresh is high and Latino residents make up as much as 90% of enrollees. There, food insecurity is compounded by seasonal employment, underinsurance, and geographic isolation. The UCLA study warns that cuts will hit these communities first and hardest, jeopardizing the very workers who help sustain California’s food supply.
The move has been met with sharp criticism from advocates and researchers alike, who warn the long-term effects of food insecurity — including worsening health outcomes and increased poverty — could overwhelm local systems.
Yet supporters of the bill, including California Republicans Doug LaMalfa and Tom McClintock, say the reforms restore fiscal discipline and reinforce work as a requirement for public aid. “This package delivers what we’ve been pushing for years,” LaMalfa said.
But for millions of Californians who depend on CalFresh not as a crutch but as a bridge between jobs, paychecks, or seasons — the bridge now looks more uncertain than ever.