Skip to content
San Diego Post

San Diego Post

Your Pulse on Local Stories and National News

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Primary Menu
  • Local News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Local News

13-year-old arrested in connection to Rancho fire in California

Jacob Shelton July 8, 2025

Share this:

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
(Image Credit: IMAGN)

Smoke from the Wolf Fire can be seen in Cabazon, Calif., on Sunday, June 29, 2025.

Laguna Beach, California – A 13-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with a brush fire that broke out Monday afternoon in a hillside neighborhood of Laguna Beach, prompting evacuations and air support as firefighters worked to stop the flames from reaching nearby homes.

The Rancho Fire, which began near Rancho Laguna Road and Morningside Drive, burned four acres of dense brush before firefighters halted its forward progress around 5 p.m. Although no structures were damaged and no injuries reported, the blaze came dangerously close to homes and underscored the growing risks posed by fireworks as California enters peak wildfire season.

Witnesses in the area told authorities they heard and saw fireworks in the minutes before smoke began to rise from the hillside. According to a news release from the Laguna Beach Police Department, several residents reported seeing a young individual in the area shortly before the fire began. Two youths were detained for questioning, but only one — a 13-year-old — was identified as a suspect.

After hours of investigation, including the review of video footage allegedly showing the boy detonating fireworks, detectives arrested the juvenile. Officers also executed search warrants to seize electronic devices as part of the ongoing investigation. The boy was processed at the Laguna Beach Police Department and released to the custody of his parents. Due to the absence of injuries or immediate structural threat, he was not held at Orange County Juvenile Hall.

The case has been submitted to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office for review. The teen may face a felony charge of reckless burning of forest land.

The fire, which drew a large emergency response including firefighting aircraft making water and retardant drops, triggered temporary evacuations in the neighborhood. Those orders were lifted once firefighters gained control of the blaze, but the community remained shaken by the close call.

“I was working from home and suddenly heard all the sirens,” said Mary Lou Mooney, a resident who lives near the fire’s origin. “Then I saw the police cars, the fire trucks—it all happened so fast.”

Mayor Alex Rounaghi confirmed Monday that the fire was believed to be fireworks-related but emphasized that the investigation was still developing at that time.

The Rancho Fire is part of a troubling trend. More than 4,000 wildfires have already scorched over 182,000 acres across California in 2025, nearly doubling last year’s burn rate at this time. As summer temperatures climb, fire officials are warning of increased fire activity, especially when flammable conditions are paired with human-caused ignitions.

Laguna Beach Police Chief Jeff Calvert credited the swift resolution of the case to community involvement. “This is what makes Laguna Beach unique,” he said. “When our residents speak up, we’re able to act quickly and protect our community.”

Related

Continue Reading

Previous: California could lose $4 Billion in federal rail funds as Trump targets bullet train
Next: Newsom tours South Carolina, signaling 2028 ambitions in a state key to Democratic hopes

Related Stories

Elderly_Woman,_B&W_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield
  • Local News

From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
Syndication: Palm Beach Daily News
  • Local News

$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California attorney guilty of 3 Counts of money laundering in $2.1M scam

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California drivers exposed in 4,000-city license plate scandal

Jacob Shelton August 29, 2025
(Image Credit: Getty Images)
  • Local News

California cult leaders arrested as man’s 2023 disappearance probed

Jacob Shelton August 28, 2025

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Trending News

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins 1

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins

August 30, 2025
From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme Elderly_Woman,_B&W_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield 2

From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme

August 30, 2025
$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court Syndication: Palm Beach Daily News 3

$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court

August 30, 2025
California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter (Image Credit: IMAGN) 4

California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter

August 30, 2025
California attorney guilty of 3 Counts of money laundering in $2.1M scam (Image Credit: IMAGN) 5

California attorney guilty of 3 Counts of money laundering in $2.1M scam

August 30, 2025
Padres lose Bogaerts to foot fracture, hopeful for postseason return (Image Credit: IMAGN) 6

Padres lose Bogaerts to foot fracture, hopeful for postseason return

August 29, 2025
73 sick in California as salmonella egg outbreak spreads (Image Credit: IMAGN) 7

73 sick in California as salmonella egg outbreak spreads

August 29, 2025

You may have missed

MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins
  • Sports

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
Elderly_Woman,_B&W_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield
  • Local News

From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
Syndication: Palm Beach Daily News
  • Local News

$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025

Recent Posts

  • Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins
  • From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme
  • $11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court
  • Local News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Copyright © 2025 All rights reserved.