Skip to content
San Diego Post

San Diego Post

Your Pulse on Local Stories and National News

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Primary Menu
  • Local News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Local News

Delays pile up for 2,000 California residents awaiting $1,800 in transportation assistance

Jacob Shelton April 9, 2025

Share this:

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
(Image Credit: IMAGN)

Feb 9, 2022; Los Angeles, CA, USA; A Metro bus with the words "Go Rams" is seen in downtown prior to Super Bowl LVI between the Los Angeles Rams and the Cincinnati Bengals. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Los Angeles, California – An innovative program designed to help lower-income Los Angeles County residents access affordable transportation has hit significant delays, leaving many participants frustrated and in limbo. The Metro Mobility Wallet, launched by Metro and the L.A. Department of Transportation (LADOT) in 2022, was intended to provide $1,800 over a year to 2,000 participants in Phase 2 of the program. This money could be used for various forms of transportation, including rail, bus rides, and even bike-related expenses.

However, months behind schedule, participants are still waiting to receive their prepaid cards, which were promised to be available early this year. Avital Shavit, senior director of Metro’s office of strategic innovation, cited delays with the bank vendor and “compliance testing” as the cause. As of now, no participant has been able to access the funds.

The delays have been ongoing since the program’s second phase began last year. According to Metro’s updates, participants were initially told the funds would be available in early 2025, but as of April, they have yet to receive the first $900 of their allocated amount. Metro has continued to provide updates, each one offering new dates that come and go without the cards being distributed.

In the first phase of the program, 1,000 South L.A. residents received $150 per month to spend on transportation from May 2023 through April 2024. Preliminary evaluations of Phase 1 suggest the program helped alleviate financial stress for lower-income individuals, allowing them to use the funds for essential needs beyond transportation, like groceries or family expenses.

However, as the second phase drags on, participants remain in the dark. Metro contracted with TruCash, a Canada-based fintech company, to manage the prepaid Visa cards. The company has reportedly been dealing with “ongoing technical issues,” which have prevented the cards from being activated.

Some participants hoped to use the money to enhance their mobility for personal and business reasons, but the constant delays have left users waiting for funds they desperately need.

Metro has directed frustrated participants to its LIFE program, which offers free transit passes to eligible low-income residents, but the situation continues to cause unrest among those who were promised financial relief months ago.

As Metro continues to work with TruCash and Sutton Bank to resolve the issues, participants are left hoping for a resolution soon. Shavit said more clarity about the timeline should be available by next week. Meanwhile, researchers from UCLA and UC Davis are continuing to evaluate the program’s impact, though many wonder if the delays could undermine its success.

Related

Continue Reading

Previous: $5M in Federal Aid stolen by fake students in California — That’s just the beginning
Next: California could lose Billions as Trump moves to gut state climate laws

Related Stories

Elderly_Woman,_B&W_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield
  • Local News

From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
Syndication: Palm Beach Daily News
  • Local News

$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California attorney guilty of 3 Counts of money laundering in $2.1M scam

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California drivers exposed in 4,000-city license plate scandal

Jacob Shelton August 29, 2025
(Image Credit: Getty Images)
  • Local News

California cult leaders arrested as man’s 2023 disappearance probed

Jacob Shelton August 28, 2025

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Trending News

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins 1

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins

August 30, 2025
From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme Elderly_Woman,_B&W_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield 2

From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme

August 30, 2025
$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court Syndication: Palm Beach Daily News 3

$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court

August 30, 2025
California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter (Image Credit: IMAGN) 4

California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter

August 30, 2025
California attorney guilty of 3 Counts of money laundering in $2.1M scam (Image Credit: IMAGN) 5

California attorney guilty of 3 Counts of money laundering in $2.1M scam

August 30, 2025
Padres lose Bogaerts to foot fracture, hopeful for postseason return (Image Credit: IMAGN) 6

Padres lose Bogaerts to foot fracture, hopeful for postseason return

August 29, 2025
73 sick in California as salmonella egg outbreak spreads (Image Credit: IMAGN) 7

73 sick in California as salmonella egg outbreak spreads

August 29, 2025

You may have missed

MLB: San Diego Padres at Minnesota Twins
  • Sports

Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
Elderly_Woman,_B&W_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield
  • Local News

From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
Syndication: Palm Beach Daily News
  • Local News

$11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025
(Image Credit: IMAGN)
  • Local News

California man sentenced for illegal gambling operation tied to pro athletes and Ohtani’s ex-interpreter

Jacob Shelton August 30, 2025

Recent Posts

  • Padres’ sloppy fourth dooms them in 7-4 loss to Twins
  • From Porsche to Prison? 28 charged in $65M California elder fraud scheme
  • $11.2M tax dodge lands California businessman in court
  • Local News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Copyright © 2025 All rights reserved.